Home Tap to Call Now

Is There Mold In My Chimney?

Do you worry about growing mold in your fireplace and chimney? While indoor mold is common, it is hazardous for your health and should be avoided at all costs. If you’ve noticed a musty odor in your home, this is usually the first sign of mold in the fireplace, and it should be taken seriously. In fact, a fireplace or chimney can be a perfect habitat for mold growth.  Here are some signs of mold growth, why it happens, and how you can combat it.

fireplace cleaning, robbinsville nj

Signs of Mold

In some areas of your house, mold is also hard to detect. You often don’t see it forming, but eventually, you will be able to smell it. That distinct smell is what homeowners are most likely to notice first. Mold has a distinctive, unpleasant scent that is exceptionally intense, and that smell is the easiest way to identify it. Another less noticeable warning sign is breathing or other respiratory symptoms. Mold can cause a host of severe medical conditions that should not be ignored. For example, suppose you or another member of your family is suffering from the sudden onset of breathing issues, rashes, or unusual medical symptoms. In that case, you should be on high alert for mold. If this occurs, it is worth having a chimney specialist evaluate to make sure there isn’t mold hiding in plain sight.

Where Mold Comes From

Generally, excess moisture is the root cause of mold growing in your fireplace or chimney. Especially if your chimney is not sealed correctly, it is highly susceptible to becoming a mold breeding ground. Also, inadequate ventilation, improper insulation, and a dark environment are the ideal conditions for mold to thrive. There could also be a leak in the chimney cap allowing the excess moisture to come through. For this reason, it is highly recommended to seek out professionals to deal with routine repair and maintenance for your fireplace and chimney needs.

Removal and Cleanup

chimney cleaning, pennington njIn case of mold infestation in a chimney or fireplace, you should act quickly to remove it. Cleaning and removing mold should be handled only by chimney specialists. Attempting this job without the proper training or equipment can prove dangerous and cause further damage to your fireplace and your health. Mold can still grow inside your chimney, despite how well you clean the outer surface; therefore, it is best to have a professional inspect the entire structure.

Mercer County Chimney Service uses professional-grade cleaning products and advanced techniques to remove mold from the fireplace to the top of the chimney. Our technicians are certified by the National Fireplace Institute, as well as the Chimney Safety Institute of America, and their expertise cannot be easily duplicated.

Mold Prevention

Mold remediation is only half the battle. Addressing the root causes of mold growth, however, is crucial. There are several reasons this could be happening, and a thorough inspection by Mercer County Chimney Service can pinpoint the root cause. Once any deficiencies are repaired, the best way to prevent mold going forward is an Annual Chimney Inspection and Cleaning service. Our Level 1 and Level 2 chimney inspections can get to the bottom of the mold or other chimney problems.

Hire Experts

If you are concerned about mold growth, give our team a call today at 609-802-5288 to schedule a chimney and fireplace inspection. We provide chimney, fireplace, and stove services to customers throughout Mercer County, New Jersey.