Humidity And Your Chimney
The lazy days of summer are upon us. With that comes the heat and humidity and the summer rain showers. With all that moisture, it is sure to get into your chimney. There will be unpleasant smells if not taken care of.
There are tasks that you should do all year long to keep your chimney clean. By taking care of these tasks, you can enjoy the summer and it’s hot, lazy days.
Why do I have Smells from my Chimney?
Some of the reasons that you will get unwanted smells from your chimney.
- By not cleaning out your ash after a season of burning. Take the time to clean out your firebox. The built-up chard wood and ash can take on a smell and send it into your home.
- Buildup of creosote. The icky gooey collection of tar on the liner of your fireplace is called creosote. You are going to get this buildup if you have fires. It is important to call your chimney sweep and schedule a cleaning. This will also protect the integrity of the structure of your fireplace.
- Chimney cap. Be sure your chimney cap is in good working order. If it needs repair, water, and moisture will get into the chimney. The humidity will cause the inside collection of dust and creosote to smell.
- Ventilation. Be sure that there is a good flow of air passing through your home. Mold and mildew can build up in and around your firebox and liner. Having airflow through will dry out any moist areas avoiding mold building up.
- Check your flue. Is there an obstruction? Small animals can climb in and make a nest. Call your Chimney Sweep if you identify anything out of the norm.
- Have a Chimney Sweep appointment every year to keep your fires burning clean and safe.
- Visualize your chimney cap. If you see signs of wear or breakage, it’s time to replace this. An inspection from a professional will solve this problem.
- Waterproofing. Over time, the bricks in your fireplace become loose. Water and moisture can seep in causing smells to accumulate. While you are having your chimney swept, talk to the attendant, and ask questions. They are the best people for their expertise. They will know if more than a chimney sweep is needed. A full inspection may be needed.
Whatever you do, don’t neglect your chimney. The smells accumulate with the humidity. The moisture that comes along with it can also cause mold spores and mildew. Be sure to contact your professional.
Annual Chimney Services
Chimney inspections are required for many real estate transactions, and we can offer a Level 1 or Level 2 Inspection that will identify any potential deficiencies and allow you to repair your chimney, stove or fireplace bringing it up to code.
Proper venting is a big issue especially when installing a new hot water heater or furnace. We are fully trained to examine your venting requirements and install the proper system to allow the safest solution.
Mercer County Chimney Service is the premier chimney sweep contractor in Hamilton, NJ. We’re a locally-owned, full-service chimney and fireplace company that does it all. Whether you need chimney sweeping repairs, inspections, rebuilding, or a fireplace, stove, or insert installation, we’re the one to call. Book your appointment today at 609-802-5288 or contact us online.